Independent Film

>> Sunday, June 6, 2010

Just doing some non-project-related, yet career related.. research...


Picked this up from David Liu's facebook, a talented Singaporean based director I met at the Singapore Film Festival last year.

Nothing amazingly new but in the videos below, producer Ted Hope talks about the benefits of going into Independent Filmmaking, utilising all the opportunities afforded by the New Media technologies. Ted Hope has produced a number of films, the most recognisable for me being 21 Grams, American Splendor, and even Ang Lee's Xi Yan (The Wedding Banquet)!

The most interesting was his mention of the 1000 True Fans 'theory' by Kevin Kelly. That article is definitely worth a look as food for thought to anybody seriously wanting to make a living as a creative artist.



Haven't had time to review and process my own opinions as yet on these topics - I have an exegesis to write for my Asian-Australian Film project. Oh, I have a title for the project now "The Slanted Lens". It is a re-appropriation of a similar titled documentary "The Slanted Screen" by Jeff Adachi, about the representation of Asian men in American Cinema. You can check it out a preview of it on youtube here. It is a really interesting and insightful documentary, especially when you find out that one of the biggest Hollywood silent film actors was Sessue Hayakawa, who actually played romantic leads opposite Caucasian females.
I figure my title is appropriate since it's about me as a filmmaker, finding Asian-Australian stories that I really want to translate onto the screen. Anyway, it's too late to spend any more time thinking up another title.. so it stays... for now.. maybe... opinions please!!! I need help on this matter!

Wish my luck with the rest of my assignment.. 5 days left to go!! argh!!!!!!!!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP