Going Home - A Short Film

>> Friday, March 19, 2010

Just completed the screenplay for one of the short films that I am making for my Honours Project, currently titled 'Going Home'.
The central plot isabout an Asian man in his mid-30s, going home from work. As he makes his way home, his senses are stimulated by certain smells and images which spark memories of his childhood home.

This was the first fully formed idea I had for a short film for this project, and it was strange because I had been intending to avoid stories of the 'first generation' of migrants. This was because I felt that most diasporic/Asian-Australian stories out there generally revolve around that generation, and those themes of moving and adapting to a new foreign place, of being distant from the homeland, were themes I did not fully understand, since I moved here when I was only 6 months old and basically grew up here. I was more interested in stories from the later generations like mine, who grew up or were born here - the ABC (Australian Born Chinese) stories.

The inspiration for the idea was my dad. I cant' remember what I was doing late last year but I was thinking about my dad, and was wondering what made him and my mum decide to move to Australia, and how he felt about it. Then a story sort of just fell into place in my head - a simple narrative that expresses what I feel to be quite a strong nostaglic emotion.

Will be moving into production on it as soon as I find an actor who can play the lead character. I have been sketching shots that I want to shoot, and have also scouted out some locations. I am nto much of a storyboarder, but I do sketch out shots and sequences that I am very clear about. I've posted up some of my sketches below.

Opening shot.

Scene 1 & 2.

Scene 2 opening shots.

Scene 2 Wide Shot - in front of Restaurant.


Scene 2 - leading up to first flashback.


Train sequence.

Walking home - plane flashback sequence. Not sure how to pull this on off yet, probably a VFX shot.


Walking Home.

That's all the sketches so far. I don't think I need to do anymore unless more come to me. I have a good idea of how it shoudl all look now anyway, and I like to leave some space for creative improvisation on set whenever I shoot. Hopefully can get this baby done very soon - keep your eyes open.

Ciao for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP